Wedding thank you messages show your love and gratitude for those who celebrated with you on the big day. But how do you find just the right wedding thank you card wording for each guest?
Wedding guests always appreciate a meaningful thank-you for attending, as do members of your family and bridal party. The more specific and personalized your note, the more special it will be to its recipient — so let’s explore what to write for a variety of situations. Read on to discover 10 wedding thank you card wording samples from the bride and groom!
Tips on What to Write in a Wedding Thank You Card
What do you write in a wedding thank you card — besides “thank you,” that is? The most thoughtful wedding thank you card messages include a reference to the recipient’s role in your life or wedding day. Here are some examples of specific thank-you scenarios that will help you personalize your wording:
- Thank you for coming to our wedding
- Thank you for the wedding gift
- Thank you for being in our wedding party
- Thank you for traveling to our wedding
- Thank you for making our wedding possible
- Thank you for being our wedding vendor
Writing Wedding Thank You Cards: Wording Ideas
If you’ve had a large wedding, the prospect of writing a hundred or more thank-you cards might seem daunting. How do you make each note personal without investing a huge amount of time into the undertaking? That’s the secret to writing great wedding thank you notes: For most guests, the messaging can be heartfelt yet general. With a little effort, the overall impression will be far from generic. Here are some wedding thank you writing rules to help guide you through the process:
- Keep the messaging simple and brief.
- If you are hand-writing your notes, write clearly and neatly.
- Emphasis how much it meant to you as a couple that the recipient was involved in your wedding day.
- Start with thank you notes to guests who attended your wedding and guests who could not or did not attend but who sent gifts. You can start with a simple phrase like “Thank you for being a part of our wedding day,” or “Thank you so much for the generous wedding gift.”
- For wedding vendors who helped make your ceremony and reception special, start with a general statement like “Thank you for helping make our dream wedding day a reality,” or “We would like to share our gratitude for your entire team.”
- After your opening line, you can include a more specific memory from your wedding or detail that is unique to that recipient. For example, you might say “We will treasure the memory of dancing the night away with you for years to come!” or “Your attention to detail on the bridal bouquet and ceremony flowers made our day truly special.” Sharing small details like this make your wedding thank you note more personal for your guests and those who weren’t able to attend.
- Finally, conclude your wedding thank you message with your personal signatures and a sincere sign-off like “Love and thanks”, “With love”, “Lots of love,” or “All our gratitude.”
10 Samples of Wedding Thank You Messages
- General Thank You Message
- Thank You For Attending Message
- Thank You Message To Guests Who Traveled Far
- Monetary Gift Thank You Ideas
- Wedding Gift Thank You Card Wording
- Thank You Wording For People Who Gifted but Couldn’t Attend
- Parent Thank You Phrases
- Thank You Cards For Kids Who Helped
- Late Thank You Quotes
- Wedding Vendors Thank You Ideas
General Thank You Message
It’s true: You can write a general thank-you message without veering into generic thank you note territory! A general thank you message is always appropriate, especially for guests with whom you and your new spouse may not be particularly close, like friends or co-workers of your parents or very extended family.
Again, it’s important when writing a general thank you note for wedding guests that the message is still heartfelt and true to your personal voice. Here are some examples of general wording for wedding thank you cards that adhere to those guidelines:
- Thank you for celebrating our wedding day with us! We are so grateful for your love and support as we embark on this new chapter in our lives together.
- Thank you for making our wedding day so special! We were so thrilled to have you in attendance.
- We would like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing our wedding day with us.
Thank You For Attending Message
For guests who attended your wedding in person or virtually, it’s appropriate to thank them for coming. The ideal thank you message for wedding guests will convey your gratitude for their time spent and love shared. Here are some wedding thank you card ideas for your wedding guests:
- We so appreciate you attending our wedding and sharing in our joy. We are honored to call you a friend, and we can’t wait to see you again soon!
- Words don’t fully express how much it meant to have you at our wedding. We’re truly grateful!
- Thank you for celebrating our marriage with us. Your presence meant the world to us!
Thank You Message To Guests Who Traveled Far
When a guest has traveled to celebrate your wedding day, they deserve a special shout-out in their wedding thank you card message! Here are some thank you card examples for guests who had to travel to share in your special day:
- Thank you so much for traveling such a long distance to share in our wedding day! We know it took extra effort for you to be there, and we want you to know how much that meant to us.
- Thank you for making the trip to celebrate our wedding with us. We could not be more grateful for your presence!
- It meant the world to us that you traveled to see us on our wedding day! Seeing your face in the crowd as we shared our vows truly meant everything to us.
Monetary Gift Thank You Ideas
If an attendee has made a financial gift for your wedding, be sure to thank them for their generosity in your thank you note. It’s especially thoughtful to include a detail about how their contribution will be used, i.e. as honeymoon funds, toward the purchase of a house or vehicle, etc. Here are some classy and thoughtful ways to acknowledge your guest’s financial gift:=
- Thank you for your incredible generosity! Your gift will help us make our dream honeymoon a reality. We’ll be sure to share some photos with you when we get back!
- Thank you so much for your generous gift. We can’t wait to put it towards renovating our new home! We are beyond grateful that you were able to celebrate our wedding with us.
- Thank you for your generous contribution to our married life! Your gift will go toward purchasing new appliances for our home, and we can’t wait to use them. We are so happy you were there with us on our special day! We love you!
Wedding Gift Thank You Card Wording
Whether they purchased a gift off your wedding registry or selected a gift on their own, a gift is a thoughtful gesture from your wedding guests. When writing thank you notes for wedding gifts, your note should be equally as considerate. Be sure to reference the specific gift and how it will be used or what you love about it. Here are some wedding gift thank you message ideas to get you started:
- Thank you so much for the thoughtful gift! We can’t wait to bust out our new outdoor serving set when we entertain in the backyard this summer. We are so grateful that you celebrated our marriage with us!
- Your gift was incredibly generous, and we appreciate it so much. We love the luxurious feel of these towels, and the color will go perfectly with our new bathroom! We are so grateful for your friendship.
- We could not stop admiring the amazing piece of art you gifted us! We are so grateful for this generous gift and can’t wait to hang it in a place of honor in our new home. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and for sharing our wedding day with us!
Thank You Wording For People Who Gifted but Couldn’t Attend
Oftentimes, if someone is invited to your wedding but cannot attend, they will send a gift in lieu of their presence. This is a lovely gesture, one that should be specifically called out in your wedding thank-you wording to them. They’ll appreciate that you remembered to thank them in addition to all your other wedding guests! Here are some thank you card examples for people who sent a gift but could not attend your big day:
- It was so thoughtful of you to send us a wedding present! While we missed having you at our celebration, we knew you were with us in spirit, and we can’t wait to use your generous gift toward our honeymoon!
- Thank you for sending us such a special gift! We so appreciate you sending us love from afar. We hope to see you soon and thank you again in person!
- We were so touched to receive your generous gift! Thank you for thinking of us on our wedding day. We are so grateful for your friendship!
Parent Thank You Phrases
Parents of the newlyweds deserve thank you notes, too! Whether they helped out with wedding expenses or simply provided their love and support throughout the planning process and big day, your parents are undeniably deserving of a sweet, sincere thank you. Here are a few from-the-heart wording examples to spark some inspiration:
- Mom and Dad, you showed me what true love looked like. Thank you for helping us make our dream wedding possible. We could not be more grateful!
- We have been so moved by your support throughout all the wedding planning craziness, and to have you by our side on our wedding day. We love you more than words can say!
- Dad, it meant everything to have you walk me down the aisle on my wedding day. I knew you wouldn’t let me trip! From your beautiful toast to the dance we shared, I will cherish the memory of having you by my side for the rest of my life. Thank you for always being there for your little girl.
Thank You Cards For Kids Who Helped
If your wedding party includes children in roles like junior bridesmaid or groomsman, flower girl, ring bearer, usher, etc., rest assured they’ll be thrilled to receive a thank you note addressed just to them! Keep your message short and sweet, but be sure to thank them for the special ways they helped make your wedding special.
- Thank you so much for being our flower girl! You did a great job, and we were honored to have you in our wedding party.
- We were so happy to have you be our ring bearer! Thank you for helping us tie the knot, and for showing us your awesome moves on the dance floor afterward! We love you!
- You were the loveliest junior bridesmaid a girl could ask for! It meant the world to both of us to have you by our side on the most important day of our lives. Thank you for being a part of our celebration!
Late Thank You Quotes
Time got away from you, and now you’re way behind on your thank you notes — uh oh! The good news is that a late thank you note is better than no thank you at all, and your guests and loved ones will appreciate the sentiment no matter when they receive it. You can even poke fun at your own tardiness in your thank you note message! Here are some examples to get you started:
- Between our honeymoon and getting settled into married life, we’re a little behind on our thank you notes! We hope you’ll understand, and we really are grateful for your presence on our wedding day! We are so lucky to have your friendship, and we can’t wait to see you soon.
- Bet you thought this thank you card wasn’t coming at all, huh? All kidding aside, we’re so sorry it took us this long to write thank you notes, but we want to share our heartfelt gratitude for your love (and patience!) It meant the world to us to have you at our wedding!
- Thank you so much for attending our wedding back in July. We admit we’re a bit behind on our thank you notes, as we’ve spent the past month or so taking our first trip as a married couple and moving into our new home! We hope you know how much your attendance meant to us. Let’s get together soon!
Wedding Vendors Thank You Ideas
It’s always classy and appropriate to send your wedding vendors a thank you note following your wedding. After all, these are the folks whose hard work behind the scenes made your big day possible! Here are some ideas for writing the perfect wedding vendor thank you card:
- Thank you for making our wedding day so special! We are beyond happy with how everything turned out, and we could not have done it without your expertise.
- We wanted to reach out and let you and your team know how much we appreciate all you did for us! We loved working with you, and will gladly be a reference for your future clients. You made our wedding day a dream come true!
- We wanted to tell you that our guests could not stop raving about the food, especially your signature crab rangoon. You made our wedding truly unforgettable! Thank you for all your hard work and attention to detail in the crafting of our wedding menu.
A Wedding Experience Your Guests Will Thank You For
When you’re ready to select a wedding venue your guests will love, the planning team at the Heritage Center will be happy to meet with you! We’re experienced in hosting weddings of all sizes and in all seasons, and we’d be delighted to answer any questions you may have about planning a wedding at the Heritage Center of Brooklyn Center. Explore our event spaces online and contact us to learn more!