A dollar dance, also called a money dance, is a wedding tradition that can be found across many cultures worldwide. During a wedding dollar dance, guests can provide a voluntary cash donation of any amount in exchange for a brief dance with the bride or groom. This tradition can lead to hilarious moments and heartfelt ones depending on your choice of song.
From pop to reggae, any genre can be fun during a dollar dance! Explore our list of 50 songs for the dollar dance to make your night unforgettable.
How To Set Up The Dollar Dance
If you’d like to set up a dollar dance at your wedding reception, the process is fairly simple. Typically, a dollar dance at an American wedding proceeds in the following order:
- At the reception, your DJ or band announces the money dance and explains to guests that they can give a cash donation in exchange for a dance with the bride and/or groom.
- The best man and/or maid of honor holds a basket or box to contain the cash and organizes the participating guests into two lines.
- Guests get in line for the person they’d like to dance with and put their cash donation into the basket.
- When it’s their turn, each guest joins the bride or groom on the dance floor for a short amount of time. The best man and/or maid of honor can control how long each dance is by sending the next person in line out at their discretion.
How Many Songs Should Be Played During A Dollar Dance?
The average wedding dollar dance spans two songs. These can be two songs within the same genre, or two very different songs that reflect your personality and party style. Since the dance floor will be empty immediately following the dollar dance, we recommend having your DJ or band play a slow dance for couples to open dancing back up again.
Best Music Genres For Dollar Dance Songs
The best money dance songs get people excited and ready to dance the night away (and preferably fork over some cash while they’re at it!) Just about every genre of music has produced good dollar dance songs—so choosing a genre simply comes down to your tastes and the atmosphere you’d like to have during your reception! We’ve broken down our favorite dollar dance songs that fit the bill by genre below:
- Electronic Dance Music (EDM)
Pop Money Dance Songs
If you want to ensure that everyone at your reception can sing along to your money dance song, choose from these chart-topping hits! These are our top 10 upbeat pop selections to keep the party vibes high during your dollar dance.
- Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
- Can’t Stop The Feeling by Justin Timberlake
- Happy by Pharrell Williams
- Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5
- Party in the U.S.A. by Miley Cyrus
- Just Dance by Lady Gaga
- Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon
- Perfect by Ed Sheeran
- This I Promise You by N*SYNC
- Marry You by Bruno Mars
Latin Songs For The Money Dance
Latin music is beloved for its supreme dance-worthiness, so why not choose one of these popular Latin hits for your dollar dance? Our picks range from longtime favorites to more modern numbers, so you’re sure to find one that te dará ganas de bailar!
- Baila Esta Cumbia by Selena
- Vivir Mi Vida by Marc Anthony
- Suavemente by Elvis Crespo
- Despacito by Luis Fonsi
- La Vida Es Un Carnaval by Celia Cruz
- Bailar by Deorro ft. Pitbull & Elvis Crespo
- La Bamba by Los Lobos
- Mia by Bad Bunny ft. Drake
- La Conga by Gloria Estefan
- Mamacita by the Black-Eyed Peas feat. Ozuna
Rock Songs For The Dollar Dance
Wake up your guests and get them on the dance floor by choosing a rock hit for your wedding dollar dance! Rock is a crowd-pleaser, making any of these tunes a safe bet even if your guest list encompasses a range of musical tastes.
- Sweet Child O’ Mine by Guns N’ Roses
- Livin’ On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey
- I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith
- Faithfully by Journey
- Dance the Night Away by Van Halen
- Come Dancing by The Kinks
- Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol
- Money by Pink Floyd
- These Are the Days of Our Lives by Queen
R&B Wedding Dollar Dance Songs
Beyoncé. Tina Turner. Stevie Wonder. Dionne Warwick. You’ll find a star-studded roster of music royalty among our top 10 R&B wedding dollar dance songs! Whether your tastes lean romantic, fun or classic, you’ll find a winner for your wedding on our list:
- September by Earth, Wind & Fire
- I Want You Back by The Jackson 5
- Crazy In Love by Beyoncé ft. Jay-Z
- That’s What Friends Are For by Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight & Elton John
- I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me) by Whitney Houston
- Private Dancer by Tina Turner
- I’ll Be There by The Jackson 5
- Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder
- Like I’m Gonna Lose You by Meghan Trainor ft. John Legend
Country Dollar Dance Wedding Songs
There’s no shortage of songs for the money dance in the wide world of country music! Country is one of the most popular genres for money dance song selections, partially due to the genres general popularity and partially due to its variety. Our top 10 picks range from earnest slow dances to upbeat heel-clickin’ chart-toppers.
- Boot Scootin’ Boogie by Brooks & Dunn
- My Wish by Rascal Flatts
- She’s Everything by Brad Paisley
- Humble & Kind by Tim McGraw
- Dance for Me by Florida Georgia Line
- Rich Man by Little Big Town
- Millionaire by Chris Stapleton
- God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton
- Whatever It Is by Zac Brown Band
- I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack
Disco Wedding Money Dance Songs
Disco is seeing a resurgence in popularity at weddings, with many couples opting for a 70s wedding theme, disco decor touches and, of course, all the greatest disco hits during their reception. These money dance song ideas are an homage to the golden era of disco and are perfect for vintage-loving couples.
- Stayin’ Alive by Bee Gees
- Dancing Queen by ABBA
- Last Dance by Donna Summer
- I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do by ABBA
- Le Freak by Chic
- You Should Be Dancing by The Bee Gees
- Disco Inferno by The Trammps
- Super Freak [Part I] by Rick James
- Money, Money, Money by ABBA
- That’s The Way [I Like It] by KC & The Sunshine Band
Hip-hop Money Dance Songs For Weddings
Hip-hop dollar dance songs range from cheeky (“Golddigger,” anyone?) to old school, but they all have one thing in common: They’re bound to get your guests dancing!
- I Like It by Cardi B. ft. Bad Bunny & J. Balvin
- Jump Around by House Of Pain
- Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It by Will Smith
- Golddigger by Kanye West ft. Jamie Foxx
- Mo’ Money, Mo’ Problems by Notorious B.I.G. ft. Puff Daddy & Mase
- Bust A Move by Young M.C.
- Love by Kendrick Lamar ft. Zacari
- One Dance by Drake ft. Wizkid, Kyla
- Got Your Money by Ol’ Dirty Bastard ft. Kelis
- Sugar Daddy by Qveen Herby
Jazz Money Dance Songs
The classics! These money dance songs are tried and true for a reason. Retro and romantic, these are among the most popular wedding money dance selections.
- Take The A Train by Duke Ellington
- In The Mood by Glenn Miller
- Fly Me To The Moon by Frank Sinatra
- What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
- The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra
- At Last by Etta James
- L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole
- Let’s Fall In Love by Ella Fitzgerald
- Cheek to Cheek by Fred Astaire
- I Can’t Believe That You’re In Love With Me by Billie Holiday
Reggae Songs For The Money Dance
Perfect for a laid-back couple, a beach wedding, or any couple that loves reggae, these songs provide chill yet romantic vibes as your dollar dance song choices.
- Three Little Birds by Bob Marley
- Could You Be Loved by Bob Marley & The Wailers
- Red, Red Wine by UB40
- Dollar Wine by Colin Lucas & The Taxi Gang
- Unconditional Love by Jah Cure
- Angel by Shaggy ft. Rayvon
- Satisfy My Soul by Bob Marley & The Wailers
- La-La (Means I Love You) by The Delfonics
- Close to You by Maxi Priest
- She’s Royal by Tarrus Riley
Electronic Dance Music (EDM) Songs For The Dollar Dance
Electronic dance music, or EDM, is a high-energy, heart-pumping genre that’s sure to get everyone out on the dance floor — so it’s no wonder that these EDM hits are among the best dollar dance songs!
- One More Time by Daft Punk
- Lean On by Major Lazer & DJ Snake
- Don’t You Worry Child by Swedish House Mafia
- Lights (Bassnectar Remix) by Ellie Goulding
- Finally Moving by Pretty Lights
- Stereo Love by Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina
- Stay The Night by Zedd ft. Hayley Williams
- Bloody Mary by Lady Gaga
- I’m Good (Blue) [Extended Remix] by David Guetta ft. Bebe Rexha
- Clarity by Zedd ft. Foxes
Have Your Wedding Reception & Dollar Dance At The Heritage Center Of Brooklyn Center
Ready to shake your money maker at your wedding reception? We’re ready to help you plan the best party ever! Contact the Heritage Center at Brooklyn Center today to connect with one of our wedding planners and learn more about how we can make your dream wedding reception a reality.