Any day of the week is a good time for a romantic date night out in the Twin Cities! Whether it’s your first date together or one in a lifetime of memorable nights, you’re sure to find something fun to do in the bustling cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
From budget-friendly ideas and outdoor dates to cute, romantic spots to spend some quality time, you’ll have a hard time choosing your favorite from our list of 20 date ideas in the Twin Cities!
Fun Date Night Ideas in the Twin Cities
The sheer quantity of fun date ideas in the Twin Cities means there’s something to fit every couple’s personality, tastes, and budget. From world-class museums to adventurous activities, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite budget-friendly and adrenaline-pumping date night ideas!
Cheap Date Nights in Minneapolis
Some of the best and most memorable date ideas are, well, cheap dates! You don’t have to spend a lot of money to have a great time in the Twin Cities. There are lots of wallet-friendly or even free date ideas in Minneapolis that are as fun as they are frugal.
- Appreciate some fine art: The Minneapolis Institute of Art is always free and so is the Walker Art Center from 5-9 PM on Thursdays. Creative-types and art appreciators will enjoy admiring some of the world’s finest art at no cost. These galleries are walkable to other incredible parks, dining, bars and more.
- Get your game on: Tap into the nostalgia of the 80s and 90s at an arcade bar like Up-Down Minneapolis! All the games at this fun spot cost just 25 cents and the bar’s drink menu includes an extensive craft beer selection with over 60 beers on tap, plus house-made pizza by the slice with unique toppings. What’s better than beer, pizza and Pac-Man?
- Bowl the night away: You won’t strike out with this idea! Classic bowling alley-slash-theater-slash-late night bar and restaurant Bryant Lake Bowl makes it easy and cheap to have a fun, impressive date night! Their $28 Date Night Special includes two delicious entrees, a bottle of wine or pitcher of beer and a round of bowling.
Activities in the Twin Cities for Couples
For active couples, adventure seekers and those always ready for a new experience, we’ve got great active date ideas in Minneapolis for you to pursue! You and your date will bond over these exciting places in Minneapolis—adrenaline is an aphrodisiac, you know!
- Rock out: Consider it the ultimate trust exercise! Chalk your hands and get ready to climb at Vertical Endeavors, the Twin Cities’ premier indoor rock climbing facility. This awesome adventure zone offers experiences for rock climbing newbies to experts, so you’ll be able to enjoy scaling the wall even if it’s your very first time!
- Don’t be scared, axe them out: If bowling is a bit too tame for you and your date, axe throwing could be the level-up you’ve been looking for! Bad Axe has taken Northeast Minneapolis by storm with its 8,000-square-foot indoor axe throwing facility, which also serves wine, beer and boasts a full-service bistro.
- Tap into your inner child: Theme parks aren’t just for kids! Nickelodeon Universe inside the Mall of America has seven acres of attractions, entertainment and dining that adults can enjoy too! Get your thrills on the Avatar Airbender or the Spongebob Squarepants Rock Bottom Plunge. Then head out into the mall to share a great meal at one of the many full-service restaurants like FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar or Cedar + Stone. If you really want to keep the childhood nostalgia going, make a reservation at Rainforest Cafe and dine among animatronic gorillas and ambient rainstorm sounds!
Outdoor Date Ideas In The Twin Cities
There are so many incredible outdoor spaces perfect for dates in the Twin Cities that it would take a whole blog to list them all! Some tried-and-true date spots include Minnehaha Falls, Lyndale Park Rose Garden, the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, the Como Park Zoo, Marjorie McNeely Conservatory and the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. If you’re looking for a fun activity to follow up a romantic walk in one of these scenic destinations, here are some of our best outdoor ideas for your date:
- Paddle your hearts out: Rent a kayak from Twin Cities Kayaking and hit the water yourselves or with an expert tour guide! See the Twin Cities from a whole new point of view on the Mississippi or one of Minnesota’s fabled lakes.
- Skate the day away: Maple Grove’s Central Park ice skating loop is a gorgeous outdoor rink perfect for a day date or a skate under the stars. When you and your sweetie have had your fill of the cold, you can warm up in the nearby pavilion or head out into Maple Grove proper to enjoy a meal at one of the area’s many impressive restaurants.
- Level up your golf game: TopGolf in Brooklyn Center is a major entertainment destination, offering state-of-the-art, climate-controlled golfing bays for year-round enjoyment, plus fun virtual gaming, a rooftop terrace with fire pits and a full restaurant and bar. You could spend an entire day exploring three floors of fun together!
Date Ideas In Minneapolis During The Winter
Just because it’s frigid in the Twin Cities doesn’t mean you have to stay home! There are still some cold-weather, romantic ideas for dates in Minneapolis and St. Paul. After all, freezing temps give you a great excuse to cozy up close to your sweetheart! We’ve included a mix of indoor and outdoor date ideas appropriate for the season to ensure you have options:
- Skate into date night: Here’s another great outdoor ice skating option! Centennial Lakes Park’s winter ice skating rink is perfect for a chilly date night! Strap on your skates and take a spin on the 10-acre ice rink, then enjoy the warmth of Hughes Pavilion and a nice cup of hot cocoa. So romantic!
- Warm the heart with laughter: Break the ice and shake off the winter blues with a comedy show! Especially in the dreary winter months, we all need a good laugh. Acme Comedy Co. is a renowned Minneapolis spot for national standup acts and hot up-and-comers too. They even offer dinner-and-a-show packages ready-made for date night! Or opt for their free Monday night open mic for a budget-friendly evening out.
- Get totally tubular: The tubing hill at Wirth Park is fun for all ages! Mother Nature provides the snow and the park provides the tubes, so all you need to bring is you, your significant other and some suitably warm clothes. Maybe a Thermos of hot cider or cocoa, too!
Summer Date Ideas In The Twin Cities
Aah, summer in the Cities. What’s not to love? When the sun is shining and the lakes are cool, there’s simply nothing better. Let the hot temperatures turn up the heat on your romance with these Twin Cities activities for couples in the summertime — just don’t forget your sunscreen and water!
- Root for the home team: Baseball is a classic summertime activity and taking in a game just happens to be a great date! Catch the Twins at home or visit the St. Paul Saints on “Thirsty Thursdays” for $1 beers and a Minor League game. Hot dogs and peanuts are also a must!
- A drive-in date night: If you and your sweetheart love vintage vibes, you’ll want to pencil in a trip to the Vali-Hi Drive-In for a movie under the stars. Located a few miles from St. Paul, this cash-only spot is one of the last remaining drive-in theaters in the state. Enjoy a feature film, some budget-friendly refreshments and each others’ company.
- Nothing tops a rooftop: Take advantage of Minneapolis’s beautiful summer days and nights with a date at a rooftop bar! Union Rooftop Bar & Grill offers a sexy and modern atmosphere for small plates, steaks and cocktails, while Brit’s Pub is a Minneapolis legendary rooftop sports bar with an English flair.
Best Date Spots In Minneapolis
When looking for the best date spots in the Twin Cities, most can be split into one of two categories: The most romantic date places in Minneapolis and the best date night bars in Minneapolis. The former caters more to established couples or those looking to turn up the heat in their courtship. The latter is great for first or second dates or couples looking for a fun, clubby atmosphere. Check out our favorite romantic spots and bars for dates in Minneapolis below!
Most Romantic Places in Minneapolis
“Romantic” might have a different definition depending on which couple you ask, but we think our list of the top three most romantic places in Minneapolis will tick just about everyone’s boxes! You could even enjoy all three in one epic night: Enjoy a swoony stroll, a gourmet meal and close out the evening with some sultry jazz. Talk about a romantic night!
- Take a romantic stroll: A walk across the Stone Arch Bridge is a classic Minneapolis date idea and for good reason! Save your visit for after dark, then enjoy the incredible skyline views and starry skies. It simply couldn’t be more romantic!
- Late night vibes: The Dakota Jazz Club has been a date night site for more Minnesota couples than we can count! Catch the late show, cozy up in a romantic booth and order from the late night happy hour menu for an unbeatable (and budget-friendly!) night out.
- Hot for haute cuisine: Spoon and Stable may just be the ultimate in Minneapolis date night restaurants. Boasting tons of praise for its upscale, locally-focused menu by French-trained chef Gavin Kaysen, there’s no doubt that you’ll have a memorable meal at this spectacularly sought-after spot.
Best Date Bars in Minneapolis
Every couple will be looking for something different in their perfect date night bar, but generally, they should have stellar drinks and a great atmosphere. We’ve put together a few of our favorite date night bars ranging from unique and intimate to classic dives with great vibes. Catch your date’s eye from across the bar and toast to a long and exciting romance!
- Speakeasy-style drinks: Volstead’s Emporium is hidden in Uptown, accessible only from a darkened alleyway. Once you’re inside this 20s-inspired speakeasy, you’ll be delighted by their award-winning cocktails and intimate vibe.
- Wine & dine: Upscale yet urban, Bar Lurcat is a modern spot known for its wine bar, small plates and live music. Enjoy the Sunday date deal or belly up to the bar to explore the award-winning wine list. When you’re hoping to impress your date but still want bar vibes, this is the place to be!
- Legendary Minnesota must-do: If you and your date love a hole-in-the-wall joint and iconic eats, you can’t do better than Matt’s Bar, home of the Juicy Lucy burger. This landmark dive was established in 1954 and looks much the same nearly 70 years later, including its cash-only policy and dark wood-paneled interior. If you or your date have never had a Juicy Lucy this is a must-stop but it’s also great for uber-casual first dates or anyone who loves a dive.
Celebrate at the Heritage Center When You Take The Next Step
When you and your beau are ready to take the next step, Heritage Center of Brooklyn Center is here for you! We’d love to help you celebrate your wedding day on our historic grounds. Reach out to our expert events team to begin planning your extraordinary day!